Retro CPC Dongle – Part 15

In my last post I pushed a ‘Hello World’ configuration to the FPGA through the JTAG port. Since then, I’ve been working on the Altera Fast Passive Parallel configuration ports. The intention is use the microcontroller to manage the register transfer logic (RTL) configuration of the FPGA. Essentially this means the Altera SAM microcontroller can load a ‘personality’ for the dongle. Personalities will be stored in the Flash memory, loaded as required and pushed to the FPGA.

I wrote very simple data transfer program to ensure a correct transfer from the PC to the microcontroller. Continue reading

Retro CPC Dongle – Part 14

Still on a high from my last success, I moved onto testing the FPGA. The only way this would work at the moment, is through the JTAG port. The software that will eventually configure the FPGA through the fast passive parallel port is not ready, and there’s a lot to learn first, so I’m going to leap frog that and use the JTAG port to configure the FPGA to get the LED to blink.

Just like this :

Blinky!

Continue reading

Retro CPC Dongle – Part 13

SUCCESS!

Yes, you read that correctly. I managed to get the board working from my last post. Lucky post 13! I removed the SDRAM chip and the short between GND and the 3.3v line disappeared. Perplexed, I re-checked the data sheet and yes, I’d made a mistake. There are three VCC and three VSS pins. I’d transposed the last two of these. Ah well. This board was never going be the final build anyway, so I just removed the SDRAM chip with my hot air hand tools.

The regulators and inductors were still running hot, so I suspected there was a further issue, but the LED was alight now, which was a good sign. The voltages out of the regulators were a bit low, so I checked some key components, such as the clocks and lo-and-behold, I’d placed the 50MHz oscillator at 90 degrees out. These chips are 2mmx3mm, so excuse this minor fault. I removed the oscillator and the line voltages returned to tolerance and the heat in the regs and inductors went away. Woohoo!

I soldered on the JTAG port for my Atmel-ICE programmer and programmed an initial hello world program. I upped the PLL so that the ARM core ran at 120MHz and it was quite stable. If you switch from low speed to maximum clock it sucks a huge gulp of power from the supply lines, so if the regs, inductors and noise suppression capacitors are not sufficient the core self-resets. I didn’t see any behaviour like that, so I’m confident the Atmel SAM core is good.

I also found a few other stupid mistakes, like I’d provided a jumper to erase the ARM microcontroller, but jumpered it to ground and it needs +3.3v to erase. I also managed to set the security bit while fiddling with the programmer, so I was locked out of the chip. Luckily, the Atmel-ICE cable has two connectors, both a 0.05″ and a 0.1″ pitch connector. So I took 3.3v from this ribbon connector and zapped the erase pin during power up and wiped the security bit, allowing me back into the chip programming mode.

I wrote a quick program to toggle the FPGA configuration lines and managed to get an acknowledgement level-shift on the status line, so all good so far! I tried to get a fault condition, by sending zeros and all-ones to the FPGA, but couldn’t elicit a fault response, so I suspect it’s waiting for specific value before it starts it’s configuration process.

As I write this, I’m installing Altera Quartus on my new HP all-in-one, so that I can create a bitstream simply to turn off the LED (it defaults to on) and see the CONF_DONE line go high. That’s probably some way away, but I thought it worthwhile to report this success after another apparent failure.

I’ll be able to test the other components on this build, so it’s not a waste and I’ll perfect the supervisor programming software and test the remaining components before the next build.

Stay tuned for my next post!

Retro CPC Dongle – Part 12

Welcome back to the next part of this retro adventure. Last time, I told you the new boards are back from the fabrication house. These are the same logical design (called schematic) as the previous boards, but use a different and simplified layout and I’ve removed some components to make the assembly easier. I also changed my assembly approach.

I’m pleased to say I had a 50% success rate, which is 49% better than last time! The board assembled beautifully.

Unfortunately, I still have some problems but let’s go through the new assembly process before we go further. As I mentioned last time, I intended to assemble the board using a dry layout process first. This means I can take all the time I need to get the components out of their packaging and lay them out on the board and not worry about whether the solder paste is going off. Continue reading